Skip to main content

Establishing Credit History



When I was in my early 20s I was told to get a credit card but you had to show the credit card companies that I could pay for the card.  My mother told me to get a store credit card (it was a thing back in the 90s to get a card that was just for a specific store).  I got a JCPenny's card, bought some chocolates, and nervously waited for the bill to come.  I still lived at home and with a large family - mail got lost and the internet was still in its infancy.

I got my bill, paid it, and officially established my credit.  I easily got my first VISA - I thought VISA was accepted around the world more than MasterCard.  It turns out, they are both accepted everywhere equally.

I never used that store credit card again, and really don't know what happened to it.  I don't think I officially canceled it but there are no store credit cards anymore and it doesn't show up on my credit report so I think I'm good.

My daughters are young adults now and they were looking to get their credit cards.  Although they were offered a secured credit card, they went down the Discover card route.  I made a video of your choices.  I would love to hear your story.

Comments