Skip to main content

How to survive a snow day when you are a work at home parent

See the happy no school day kid
This is my kids second snow day in a row.  I don't know if it is the snow and my animal instinct to wait out the storm or the kids yelling and interrupting but all I want to do is curl up in something warm (like my bed).  Alas, when you work from home it makes it that much easier to do so.  I set up a few rules to get me through the day.

Don't expect to get a full day's work done:  As much as you may be able to keep the kids busy, they will interrupt.   The more you accept this, the less yelling in the house :)  If you end up getting a full day's work in - BONUS! Woot Woot!



Sent kid out with camera. I got to enjoy her art work that evening.
Consider rescheduling any important calls:  If you have young ones, this is particularly important since they will most likely interrupt you.  I am lucky that my teens have some self control.

Start the kids on a game, then walk away:  Someone gave me this advice many years ago and it is the sweetest advice I got.  My youngest used to want to play with me all the time.  If you start playing with them for 10 minutes, they get into the game and you can walk away.  Most times my daughter didn't even notice.  I think of it this way, when I think of a project I need to start, I find it daunting.  I need to pump myself up to get myself motivated.  I think it's similar, they need that hand-holding to get started but once they get started they can do it on their own.  Puzzles, coloring books and imaginative play are great for this.

Have a tiny to-do list, you know you can get done:  I made a list this morning of steps, I know I can get done.  It's not a very big list but I make one of what everything, it would be too daunting and I may give up.  Yes, I need to give myself tricks to get going.

Use the spouse, if your spouse is home, take shifts entertaining the kids.

Send them out to play:  If they are old enough, go for it.  It's snowing - I'm sure they can find something to do.   Here's some suggestions if they are struggling with ideas, eat icicles (clean ones, of course), build a snowman or snow fort, sledding, take the dog for a walk to see how tall the snow drifts are, make snow angels, text your friends and organize a community snowball fight.

Lastly, have some fun:  If you can, have some fun with

.  Take an hour or two to go sledding or to bake cookies (because this is baking weather).  Make homemade hot chocolate. Create the memories.

Love to hear your tips for a snow day.

Comments

  1. Or go sleigh riding... Great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - they did sledding - or snow tubing, not sure if it's the same but they said they like the tube more than their sled.

      Delete
  2. I specifically love the one about get them started and then walk away. That's a new one for me. With your explanation it makes total sense. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first got the advice I didn't believe it would work - I was stunned that it did and for me it worked every time. I hope it works for you.

      Delete
  3. Nothing quite like the smell of baking cookies to make you feel all warm when it's cold outside. Those are some excellent tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you are a girl after my own heart - we make soft pretzels too. Nothing like the oven working on a cold winter day and eating something hot.

      Delete
  4. An idea just came to me, how about a snow day survival kit? The kit would come out ONLY during snow days so it keeps its contents special for the kids and it's full of games, crafts, activities etc that would keep them busy all day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I LOVE that idea! Makes it a bit special. I remember on hurricane days in Florida we would have an indoor picnic that we'd stash away. I'll have to come up with something like that for snow days.

      Delete
  5. Great ideas Joanne! We had gotten early Christmas presents from some relatives so I let the kids open those yesterday - they were lego sets so that kept them busy for a bit of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, legos - although expensive are fabulous - you feel like they are doing something far more constructive than just watching TV or playing video games. Thank the relatives :)

      Delete
  6. Outside play was key for our snowday survival, a bit of hot cocoa, and holiday tunes! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, a little holiday tunes and some hot cocoa is a great snow day tradition :)

      Delete
  7. Or, they could be like my son and stick their heads in the show like ostrich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL .... I'll ask my kids next time. They'd probably give me a dirty look and then wonder about it for a bit then try it. Hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't - I don't want them to be home sick after 2 snow days. :D

      Delete
  8. Totally useful. This week was an entire week of just snow days. I just had to wake up early to make sure I at least got the important things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - happily it was better than the snow days after the Christmas break - I couldn't wait for them to go back to school then.

      Delete
  9. Great tips: Baking is great, or anything with cinnamon added. The scent of cinnamon adds something to cold snowy days. (Can be added to hot cider, cocoa, coffees, teas, yum!) By us snow doesn't come often enough for the kids to get bored exploring the magic of snow. Once the kids on the street got together to build a snow fort... When we were in Slovakia one winter, we visited a family whose boys had built snow tunnels, so that they could pretend they were partisan fighters...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment