Skip to main content

What to Pack in your Swim Bag

As I swack the mosquito on my ankle while I’m sitting at the pool during my kid’s swim practice, I wonder what the hell to write to interest the rest of the world. Another bug lands on my sunglasses. Damn it, I didn’t put bug spray in our swim bag, yet. Then it came to me - swim bag shopping list. My kids are on a summer swim team and we have learned to be prepared for practice and for meets:

Swim Bag - Race Day contents:
  • Two towels per swimmer - at swim meets the first one is always soaked
  • Bug spray/sunscreen*
  • Goggles - 2 pairs if you can afford them or perhaps a spare strap
  • Swim cap**
  • Dry clothes in a gallon size freezer bag***
  • Book/Magazine/Tablet
  • Snacks and Drinks or change
  • Sweatshirt for the cold days
Swim Bag - for leisure:
  • Towel
  • Bug spray/sunscreen*
  • Goggles
  • Dry clothes in a gallon size freezer bag***
  • Pool Toys
  • Book/Magazine/Tablet
  • Snacks and Drinks or change
Cooler - depending on the pool. I may bring a cooler full of tubular ice pops. Lastly, I leave our folding chairs in the car all summer long. Not only it’s an instant

swim team wait area
*For Bug Spray/Mosquito repellant, I love Bull Frog Mosquito Coast-it covers both in one spray. I first learned of Bull Frog in Florida - it was the sunscreen the surfers used. It goes on waxy but that wax seems to stay on the swimmer better.

**I like the fabric swim caps, like lycra or spandex, especially if you have girls, it goes on so much easier and does pinch the hair so much. Of course, some people might argue that the silicon/latex make you faster

*** My kids like to shower and dress at home but sometimes they like throwing on a shirt or shorts when the are dry.

I would love to hear your summer pool tips.


Comments

  1. Great list even if you don't have children. Yes, I like pool toys as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For snacks or drinks, I would specify "healthful." If you just bring change for buying food, you may find yourself at a pool that sells nothing you would want your kids to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment